On our media day, we had some extra time and we brought the young guys back, just the first-year guys, and we watched The Buddy Way documentary together.
I asked the guys how many of them had seen it, and probably half the room raised their hand.
Then I asked how many guys were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet Coach T. Two of the guys did, because their older brothers came to our camp years ago: George Duggins and Jake Namnun.
At the team meeting that night, I had them talk about what they learned from it, and what are some of the points they got out of it? It was very impressive.
A lot of guys voluntarily raised their hand. I didn’t have to call on people. It was boom, boom, boom, boom and every single guy who spoke up had something different and valuable that he got out of it. It was great.
Then we had a couple older guys talk about their experience playing for Coach T, what it was like to know Coach T, and what he meant to the program.
I think it helps tie in all the things I've continued to do that Coach had always done. Like meet a stranger. Like making sure you know everybody's important. Knowing the names of your new teammates, doing name games.
All the little stuff he would always do, we continue to do it. When you watch that that documentary you realize why we do it. And why it's important.
Even the small things, like shoveling snow off the D.
Editor’s Note: Click HERE to watch the film on YouTube.